Tuscan Chicken is a creamy Italian chicken sauce recipe that is packed with flavor; it originated from Tuscany in Italy, hence the name “Tuscan Chicken”. This Tuscan chicken recipe is made with sun-dried tomatoes, fresh veggies such as spinach, herbs, and it is also rich in Parmesan cheese. You can use this chicken sauce for dinner and It is usually served with pasta, steamed potatoes, or garlic bread.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1/2 cup of red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled and minced
- 1 cup of double (heavy) cream
- 1/3 packed cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 packed cups (90g) of fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup of rich chicken broth
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
How to Make Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Combine all the spices/herbs and seasonings in a small plate: dried oregano, smoked paprika, garlic powder, thyme, 1/2 tsp of salt, and black pepper. Stir to mix everything together.
- Go and ahead and season the four boneless chicken breasts with the seasoning mix. Make sure to season both sides of the chicken breast. You can use some egg wash to help coat the chicken breast very well.
Pan-sear the chicken breast
- Place a pan on heat and add 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Allow the oil to heat up and then go in with the chicken breasts and sear each side for 5 minutes. If the chicken breasts are thick, you can sear for a longer time to make sure they are heated through.
- After 5 minutes, turn over to the other side and sear it also.
- Remove the seared chicken from the pan and set it aside.
Making the Creamy Tuscan Chicken Sauce
- Using the same pan, add 1 tbsp of butter and allow it to melt.
- Then add 1/2 cup of sliced red onions and stir fry until it is fragrant. You can use red, brown, yellow, or white onions for this recipe.
- Go in with minced garlic cloves and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Now, add the sun-dried tomatoes. You can make your own homemade sundried tomatoes by simply slicing tomatoes into two and drying under the sun or using the oven or dehydrator.
- Also, add 3 packed cups of fresh baby spinach and then stir until the spinach is wilted.
- Now, add the leftover mixed herbs/spices and seasoning. Add 1/2 cup of rich chicken broth and then stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes.
- After that, add the grated parmesan cheese and the heavy whipping cream; stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes.
- Bring in the seared chicken and cook for about 4 minutes; drizzle some lemon juice and scoop part of the Tuscan chicken soup and coat the top of the chicken with it.
- You can garnish the Tuscan chicken soup with some freshly chopped parsley and then turn off the heat.
Your easy homemade creamy Tuscan chicken recipe is ready.
What Can I serve with Tuscan Chicken?
Tuscan chicken can be served with steamed potatoes, pasta such as spaghetti; It can also be served with rice, or use as a dipping sauce to eat Garlic bread. Being a sauce, Tuscan chicken can go with any main carbohydrate dish.
Nutrition and Calories
A serving of Tuscan chicken contains about 380 calories and 29 g of protein. It also contains 5 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fiber. Other nutrients include 28 grams of fat and about 250 mg of sodium.