You can make the best homemade sweet mashed potatoes recipe with few ingredients like garlic, Yukon gold potatoes, cream cheese, and milk. For Vegans, most of the ingredients can be substituted as explained below.
1 serving of Mashed Potatoes contains 232 Calories; Fats makes up 1.6 grams, protein is 9.6 grams, and 48 grams of carbs. It also contains 8.3 grams of fiber and 87 milligrams of Sodium. Calcium is 142 milligrams. Other nutrients include iron, vitamin C and E and beta carotene.
Homemade Mashed Potatoes Recipe: How to Make Sweet Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 8 Medium-sized Yukon gold potatoes
- 5 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup Salted butter Peanut butter for Vegans
- 1/2 cup Milk Buttermilk can be used. Oat milk or Almond milk can be used for Vegans.
- 1/2 cup Cream cheese Soy cheese can be used for Vegans.
- 2 cups Chicken broth or meat broth
- 1 tablespoon Black pepper
How to Make Mashed PotatoesMaking this sweet potatoes recipe with cream cheese gives you a creamy taste; for a sour taste, sour cream can be used. Vegetarians can substitute milk with almond milk while butter can be substituted with peanut butter.
Steps on How to make Homemade Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Peel your Yukon gold potatoes and wash them clean
- Cut the potatoes into smaller cubes. It makes it easier to boil quickly.
- Put your cooking pot on heat. This could be a slow cooker (crock pot) or pressure cooker (instant pot); it all depends on how long you want to boil the potatoes. Into the pot add your chicken broth or meat broth and add the diced potatoes with the peeled garlic cloves; allow cooking for 15 minutes on high heat – if you are using a stove. The time is less for a pressure cooker (instant pot) but higher for a crockpot (slow cooker). If you want the potatoes to cook in less time, slice them thinly.
- After boiling the potatoes and they are soft, turn off heat and strain into a colander.
- While the potatoes are still hot in the colander, use a potato masher and mash them. You may mash in a bowl or in the colander; I found out it is easier to mash your potatoes in the colander. A fork can be used to scoop the strands of mashed potatoes that are sticking to the underside of the colander.
- Add the butter, milk, and cream cheese into the potatoes mixture; stir to combine completely. If you are using buttermilk, or heavy cream or sour cream, this is the time to add it.
- Chop the chives or cauliflower and add to the mashed potatoes and stir again.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. You can also use a microwave for this.
- After baking, your sweet mashed potatoes recipe is ready. This is creamy, delicious and the best homemade mashed potatoes. Very easy to make and used as a side dish for many recipes
- You can use this for making Black pudding potato cakes
- Cooking BBQ beans
- Preparing your easy chicken pie
- For making potato pancakes such as the Indian potato pancakes
- It is good for making the best bubble and squeak croquettes
- Also for potato and broccoli croquettes
- It can be used for making prawn chowder
How long to boil the potatoes?
The time to boil your potatoes for mashed potatoes depends on the type of pot you are using, the amount of heat, and the sizes of the diced potatoes. The thinner the potatoes are sliced, the faster they cook quickly. An instant pot would cook faster than using a slow cooker. When using high heat on a stove, it can take about 15 to 20 minutes for your potatoes to become soft. The potatoes are ready for mashing when they are soft and a fork can go through them easily.
Vegan Mashed Potatoes
When making vegan mashed potatoes, milk can be substituted with almond milk or oat milk while the cream cheese can be substituted with cheese made from soybeans. Regular butter can be replaced with peanut butter.
Leftover Mashed Potatoes
When you have leftover mashed potatoes, scoop into a clean container with a fitting lid, and store in the refrigerator. You can reheat it with a microwave when needed again; leaving it without refrigerating may sour quickly. It can also be used for making mashed potatoes Pancakes.