Scotch eggs are simple snacks made by coating eggs with sausage and bread crumbs and then deep frying or baking them. It is a simple egg recipe that is often made for picnics, dinner, or any party celebration. I will show you how to make scotch eggs at home; it is an easy recipe to make using chicken sausage or beef sausage.
Table of Contents
- 6 Eggs. 5 eggs for making the scotch eggs while the remaining for making the egg wash.
- Chicken Sausage. You can also use beef sausage.
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chili pepper powder
- 1/3 teaspoon of black pepper powder
- 2 cups of breadcrumbs
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder.
How to Make Scotch Eggs at Home
Cooking your eggs
- First cook your eggs for 15 minutes, then transfer to ice-cold water and allow them to cool down completely. This makes it easier for peeling the eggs.
- Peel the eggs and then pat them dry with a paper towel and keep them aside.
Wrapping eggs in sausage
- Secondly, mash or crush the sausage with a blender to form a thick paste. If your sausage is fresh, it can be mashed with a fork.
- Add your seasonings: black and red chili peppers and then stir to combine.
- Start wrapping your eggs in the sausage; you can do this by cutting a small chunk of the sausage and flattening it with your palms and then bringing the egg into the flattened sausage. Make sure every part of the egg is wrapped in the sausage to prevent splitting during frying. Also, the sausage should be smooth and not chunky so that the eggs do not split when wrapped in the sausage.
- Once done with wrapping all the eggs, prepare your egg wash and keep aside.
- Begin dusting and rolling your wrapped egg in your flour; any type of flour of choice: for gluten-free scotch eggs, use tapioca flour, cornflour, almond flour, or rice flour.
- The egg wash is prepared by whisking an egg until it becomes fluffy.
- Now bring each wrapped egg that has been dusted with flour into the egg wash and coat the whole wrapped egg with the egg wash.
- Transfer the coated egg into a bowl containing the bread crumbs and coat again with the breadcrumbs.
- Keep aside in a clean tray or flat plate until all the wrapped eggs are coated with flour, then in egg wash, then in the breadcrumbs.
Deep Frying your Scotch Eggs
- Place a pot on the flame and pour enough cooking oil such that a single egg can be completely immersed in the oil. You can bake the scotch eggs also instead of frying.
- Allow the oil to get heated and then start adding your scotch eggs into the oil. Do not overcrowd the oil. Deep fry the scotched eggs for about 7 to 10 minutes while carefully stirring it to fry evenly.
- Once done, remove and drain on a paper towel.
- Your homemade scotch egg recipe is ready.
You can serve your scotch eggs at picnics, for dinner, or any part. This is a simple snack recipe. It can be eaten as it is or simply serve with hot sauce, a dipping sauce such as ranch dressing or hot mustard sauce.
Some variations of scotch eggs
- Mini scotch eggs
- Savory eggs
- Picnic eggs
- Party eggs
- Snack eggs
- Egg bites
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.