Orange Chicken is an easy chicken recipe made by first making a marinade for your chicken parts and then frying the coated chicken, after that, an orange chicken sauce is then prepared and stir-fried with the fried chicken parts. Today, I will show you how to make orange chicken recipe at home. This chicken recipe is common in America but said to have been a Chinese recipe.
What is Orange Chicken?
It is glazed chicken parts in a marinade made by mixing vinegar, egg, and water. The marinated chicken parts are then fried and also stir fry in a sauce made with sweet orange and a few ingredients.
- Boneless Chicken Parts
- 2 Fresh Organic Sweet Oranges
- 3 tablespoons of Cornflour
- 1 tablespoon of White Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of Black pepper and 1/3 teaspoon of Red Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 4 tablespoons of Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of minced Ginger and Garlic
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds (optional)
- An Egg
- 1 tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of Onion Powder
How to Make Orange Chicken at Home
A) Making the Chicken Marinade
- Into a mixing bowl add cornflour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, onion powder, soy sauce, black pepper, and egg; then mix with water to form a paste.
- Bring in the chicken parts into the marinade and mix to coat with the chicken parts.
- Place a pan on the heat and allow it to heat up, then bring in the marinated chicken into it and fry.
- When the chicken is fried, remove it from the heat and drain on a paper towel.
B) Making the Chicken Sauce
- Grate the back of your sweet orange to form orange zest. You need 1 teaspoon.
- Extract the juice from the sweet orange.
- Place a pan on the heat and add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Add the minced ginger, garlic, red chili flakes, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, and vinegar.
- Also, add the orange juice and the orange zest.
- Dissolve 1 tablespoon of cornflour and add to the mixture. Allow cooking while stirring until it thickens up.
- Add 4 tablespoons of honey and stir to combine.
- Now bring in the fried chicken parts and stir fry in the orange chicken sauce while ensuring they are coated with the sauce.
- Cook for 4 minutes and turn off the heat. Your easy homemade orange chicken recipe is ready.
It can be served with parboiled white rice or eaten as it is.