One of the things that should be taken into consideration when choosing body cream is – selecting a body cream that is water soluble. Creams that are water soluble of course dissolvein water. These types of creams have positive effect on clothes like shirts’ collars,bedsheets, and other wears such that when they come in contact with these wears, they can easily be washed out without much stress and application of some stain removers. Another advantage is that water soluble creams are easily absorbed by different skin types.
What I mean by water soluble creams is the moisturizing body creams. Moisturizing creams helpto treat different skin types especiallywhen the skin is dry by holding water in the stratum corneum ( the outer most layer of the skin),they also help in preventing oil from escaping out of the skin thereby making the skin soft,smooth and healthy. Learning to make your own body cream will not only save you money,it will earn you money and also promotes you to being your own boss who controls what goes into your own skin;doing this is not so difficult all you need is to lay your hands on some certain ingredients and follow the recipe below and you are good to go.
Ingredients for making body cream
- Bee wax – 1 cup
- Acetyl alcohol – 1 cup
- Petroleum jelly – 1 table spoon
- Shea butter – 2 table spoons
- Paraffin oil – 2 table spoons
- Propylene glycol – 1/2 cup
- Stearic acid – 3 table spoons
- Lanolin – 2 table spoons
- Glycerin – 3 table spoons
- Fragrance (as desired)
- Colorant. (as desired)
- Preservative – 1 table spoon
- Water – 1/2 litre
Materials needed for production of Moisturizing body cream
– Spatula/ wooden turner
– Large glass bowl
– Measuring cup
– Food processor
– Glass or stainless steel bowl or Double boiler
– Abig pot
– Small jars with lids
Steps on the Production process of Moisturizing body cream
- Set a clean pot of water on the stove and leave to boil
- Set a double boiler or a stainless bowl over the pot on heat
- Add bee wax and allow to dissolve
- Add acetyl alcohol,shea butter,petroleum jelly and allow to dissolve. While doing this, heat up 1 litre of water on a different heat.
- Add lanolin, stearic acid, propylene glycol, glycerin, and water. Keep stirring repeatedly to incorporate all the water.
At this stage you can pour the melted oil into a food processing blender and blend for 5 minutes to avoid chunks of shea butter and bee wax in order to create a smooth finished product; or patiently melt the ingredients on heat by doing this you will begin to notice the consistency changing to a creamy mixture.
- Add colourant; stir and allow for few minutes
- Put off the heat and allow to cool a bit
- Add preservative and fragrance and stir
- Scoop itinto clean jars with fitted lids. Allow to set completely before placing the lids
Have you ever tried making your own body cream, what were your experiences? Share on the comment box below