Even as the end of year is approaching, so many of us would want to purchase a lot food items, especially for Christmas celebration, majority of the things you might see people buying this nearly end of the year are things like: tomato paste, rice, corn flours, salad ingredients, plain flour, hair items and clothes. Also, some people do constructsmall poultry houses for keeping their birds prior to this season,as birds tend to be very expensive during this period. You may be wondering what they would be using all these items for.
The thing is that as December approaches, many food, hair and clothing items, especially in Nigeria usuallyincrease drastically, in this case, majority of people prefer buying some if not all of these items ahead of time, to enable them cut down the high prices that come withthe year ending. Now, what would they be preparing with most these food items? The rice is usually used for preparing jollof rice, fried rice and coconut rice, while the salad ingredients including mayonnaise is one of the major ingredients use for dressing of salads. These foods are prepared more on Christmas days, I am not saying that people dont eat all of these on a normal day, but you would likelysee majority people serving more of salads alongside withjollof rice, coconut rice and fried rice with fried chicken or beef even more during Christmas celebration.
95% of most canned or bottled food items we purchase from grocery store are not really organic as they are being termed; most of these items are mixed with chemicals and harmful preservatives which could be of harm to our health. I am someone that believes in homemade things especially when I have the needed ingredients within my reach, in this case, I have decided to prepare this fast, simple and easy homemade mayonnaise and I believe it will be of help to you too. Homemade mayonnaise is super simple to make with very few ingredients; also, it is healthier than store bought because you would be able to control what goes into your mayonnaise. Additionally, it is cheaper and convenient to makemayonnaise by yourself at home.
Table of Contents
- What is mayonnaise?
- Uses of mayonnaise
- Mayonnaise nutrition
- Ingredients for preparing of homemade mayonnaise
- Procedures for making mayonnaise at home
- Another way to make mayonnaise at home just with 4 ingredients
- Steps for preparing homemade mayonnaise
What is mayonnaise?
Mayonnaise is a thick and creamy condiment with a slightly sour taste, usually used for dressing salads, sandwiches, and it is also used as dips and in many sauces. Mayonnaise is made up of vegetable oil; egg yolk, lemon juice or vinegar with other spices like pepper, mustard and salt. It is sometimes white, creamy or light yellow in colour depending on the ingredients used and it makes up about 70- 85% fats i.e., which is mostly unsaturated fats because, the highest percentage of the fats come from plant or vegetableoil. Mayonnaise can be made at home with a blender, hand immersion blender, with hand whisk, fork or locally with a mortar and pestle.
If a blender is used for blending mayonnaise, you will have a better, well mixed and a smooth consistency preferably than using a hand whisk or a fork for making this. There are many spices to experiment with while making mayonnaise such as: black pepper, chilli pepper, basil, dried mustard, paprika, avocado and garlic; however, an importantfactor to be considered while making mayonnaise with a whisk is the aspect of adding oil while blending it, in this case, the oil needs to be added gently and in little drops until the mayonnaise gets thickened and becomes perfect.
Uses of mayonnaise
Mayonnaise is one thosecondiments we often store in our refrigerators or cupboards; it is commonly used as a base or topping for the following foods.
The egg and oil used in mayonnaise contain Vitamin E, on the other hand, they contain antioxidants properties, since mayonnaise is made up of high percentage of fats, it would be wise to consume in moderation.
According to fat secret, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise has about 57 calories, 76% fats, 23% carbohydrates and 1% protein, which shows thatincreasing the quantity of mayonnaise, mean you are also doubling the percentages above. You should make sure you consume it moderately to stay out of problem.
Ingredients for preparing of homemade mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon of lime or vinegar
- teaspoon of black pepper (optional)
- teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup of odourless vegetable oil (coconut oil, olive oil, grape seed oil, soybeans oil or avocado oil)
Other optional ingredients for making mayonnaise include:
- A teaspoon of dried mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Garlic powder
- Ginger powder
- Duck egg
Procedures for making mayonnaise at home
- Pour in your egg yolk into a comfortable bowl. Combine lime juice, black pepper, salt and sugar if you are using a non-stick blender or hand blender whisk constantly until the content starts to become light yellow.
- Add the oil slowly some few drops at a time whisking continuously. Add more of the oil about a cup and continue whisking until you notice the mayonnaise becoming thick and fluffy. If the mayonnaise is a little bit too thick, add some table spoons of water and whisk more until you are happy with the consistency. The mayonnaise should be able to stay for a week in the fridge.
- When you are ok with the consistency you are seeing, pour the mayonnaise into an airtight jar and store in the fridge to chill.
Another way to make mayonnaise at home just with 4 ingredients
- Combine egg together with the yolk, pepper, salt, lime juice and oil in a bowl.
- Blend the content for 2 minutes until its starts to thicken and become like whipped cream.
- When you have achieved your required thickness, pour into an airtight jar and store in the fridge.
Important things to note while making mayonnaise at home
- The egg and other ingredients must be at room temperature, cold egg would result to watery mayonnaise.
- Egg yolk contains lecithin and protein which act as emulsifiers for stabilizing and thickening of the mayonnaise, while the oil forms the base of the emulsion.
- Do not add too much salt to mayonnaise; mayonnaise gets salty as it sits.
- If your mayonnaise is too thick, add a table spoon of water to it and whisk till it combines
- You may have to add an extra egg yolk with some drops of oil to the mayonnaise and whisk, if its seems watery or light.
- The acid in lemon juice helps to bind all the ingredients together.
- If salmonella is an alarming issue in your location, it is wise to use pasteurised egg in order to stay away from infection.
Steps for preparing homemade mayonnaise
1. Crack egg and drop the yolk into a blender and combine lime juice, pepper, salt and sugar in the same blender. turn on your blender and begin blending on a high speed. At first, you will notice the content becoming very light and a bit watery, just keep blending.
I used a normal blender rather than an immersion hand blender, you can use any one you have ,it works too
2. As it blends, be adding your oil gently drop by drop and wait for some seconds before adding it again. Do this and you will begin to notice the mayonnaise becoming thick.
3. Now you have to increase the amount of oil, about a cup after a minute and keep blending. At this point, if you notice a very thick mayonnaise, you can add a tablespoon of water to it and blend to incorporate, but if it is far too light, you will need to whisk 1 more egg yolk with a fork andadd to itto thicken it, adding more oil to it. as you do this. When you have achieve your desired consistency, just pause and pour the mayonnaise into jar with a lid and store it in the fridge.
Your mayonnaise is ready.
If you have been able to make this recipe, please share with us your outcome on the comment box below.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.