Egg sauce is a very simple sauce made with eggs and tomatoes, this is one the easiest egg dips that you can prepare within 20 minutes and it is mostly referred to as tomato egg sauce. Egg sauce can be eaten with boiled plantain, fried potatoes, and bread; it spices up some Nigerian staple food like boiled rice, boiled yam, and yam chips, this sauce is, however, very tasty no matter how you choose to serve it.
There are different ways to make egg and tomato sauce; a typical egg sauce is commonly prepared with few tomatoes and many eggs, but you can still prepare this sauce with many tomatoes and with your desired quantity of eggs, whichever way, the same ingredients are required for this. I decided to add a twist to this tomato egg sauce by using a few green vegetables such as green beans, green peppers. This was because I didn’t want to end up with something that contains just onions, eggs, and tomatoes. You can substitute the green beans and pepper with green amaranth or spinach if you prefer this.
However, you can use canned tomato to make your egg sauce or use fresh tomatoes to make it without adding other veggies; this depends on what you want. Sometimes, I even add carrots to mine for a brighter look, flavor, and texture. The above is a very easy tomato and egg dip for breakfast, follow the steps, and see how I make this. Also, see how to make yam porridge with tomatoes.
Egg sauce ingredients
- 3 large eggs
- 5 medium plum tomatoes (you can use tin tomato paste). See how to make tomato paste
- a cup of green beans, chopped
- 1 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- a cup of vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Garlic, ginger, and curry to taste
- 1 seasoning stock cube
- Salt to taste
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers, chopped (dried peppers)
Steps on how to make egg sauce
- Dice tomatoes, green pepper, green beans and onions and keep aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat a cup of vegetable oil for 20 seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium and start frying onions and garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the diced tomatoes, green beans, and peppers and stir to combine with the onions
- Don’t add green peppers yet because they are tender; cover the pan and leave the content to cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add green peppers and stir to combine. Season the sauce with one seasoning cube, thyme, curry, and ginger and still stir.
- If you have another source of heat, peel and cook yam or potatoes and set aside.
- Taste for salt and add if needed, stir the sauce constantly so that it doesn’t burn. Leave it to cooks for 5 minutes
- Once all the ingredients are well mixed and the tomato is well cooked, whisk egg and pour into the content in a circular motion to spread evenly.
- Let the egg sit for 2 minutes while on a medium heat before you stir, you want the egg to form lumps in the sauce instead of looking mushy and flat.
- Stir it and try breaking some of the egg chunks, take it off from heat, and serve with any staple food of your choice.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.